Living happily ever after together with your partner of choice does not have to be a fairy tale. While there are certainly bumps along the road in any marriage, assistance in the form of counseling can often turn around those rocky times and rekindle the devoted fire. The key, however, is to seek out such counseling before it gets too late. Many couples fail to recognize the warning signs, resulting in almost certain continued unhappiness and eventual divorce. Consider the following six factors that often indicate a need for Toronto marriage counselling is imminent.
• Negative Communication Has Become the Norm – If it seems that communication taking place between the two of you is the least bit possible, warning signs might be ahead. Negative communication often makes it difficult to make even the simplest of decisions. It can turn into animosity and a resentment towards the other person. Marriage counselling in Toronto can help you both regain a sense of positivity in the relationship, particularly as it relates to how you communicate to one another.
• You Both Just Seem To Be Occupying Space – If your marriage has evolved into something more akin to living with a roommate, then counseling may be warranted. You certainly do not have to do everything in life together, but if the only time you see each other is when one or the both of you is going out the door in the morning, then the relationship is showing almost certain signs of strain. To rekindle that sense of intimacy, both of you will need to focus on the issues at hand and work together to become the married couple in love that you once used to be.
• Unresolved Differences Turn Into Continual Unhappiness – If every conversation to be had and decision to be made turns into a heated battle, problems may be deep rooted. Discord after discord brings strain to the marital relationship. If left unchecked, this can result in a continual downward spiral that can be difficult to recover from.
• Negative Feelings Begin To Be Acted On – If one person in the marriage has negative feelings that are not properly dealt with, he or she may begin to act on those. If this happens, the marriage will suffer to the point that counseling may be the only hope. Negative feelings can arise from issues leading to resentment or disappointment, and could cause one partner to consider leaving the marriage altogether in order to feel better. To counteract this, marriage counseling is a way to head off these feelings before they get too far out of control.
• Separation Seems to Be the Only Way Out – If continual arguments and fights get too much to bear and one or the both of you feel that separation is your best option, then Toronto marriage counselling should definitely be sought. Even if a temporary separation is attempted, you should still consider counseling. Short term departures from one spouse can lead to full time separation and divorce if you are not careful.
• The Children Are the Only Reason You Are Still Together – While children may be your pride and joy, they should not be the only reason that you stay together. If they are, then you have issues that need to be worked out and counseling is a great venue to do just that. Children can sense your animosity towards one another, resulting in a family life that is less than ideal or healthy.
If any of these factors are present in your marriage, consider getting help in order to get back on the path to reconciliation. To begin, contact the professionals at York Region Psychological Services today to get the ball rolling.